Today is "Fat Tuesday" and tomorrow is "Ash Wednesday." As a kid I grew up eating pancakes for dinner at church on Fat or "Shrove" Tuesday and then on Ash Wednesday we went to church and had ashes smeared? rubbed? across our foreheads.
Ash Wednesday signals the start of the season of Lent. Lent is the season (in the church) before Easter. Actually, it is always and exactly the 40 days before Easter. Typically, during Lent people give something up or take on a "Lenten Discipline." I can remember my dad giving up any and all desserts/sweets for Lent. One year when I was in college I gave up coffee - ENTIRELY. That was hard. And to be totally honest with y'all, I've always had a hard time giving stuff sweets or coffees or wine... etc... for Lent because my birthday ALWAYS happens during the season of Lent. BUT, the whole point of taking on a lenten discipline is to help prepare your heart, mind, and soul for Easter. The giving up of something is supposed to remind you of the ultimate sacrafice Christ made for us on Good Friday. The giving up of something should probably be difficult or something that requires sacrifice (my opinion) in order for it to be effective.
So, this year, John and I talked about what, if anything, we were going to give up... This is what we came up with: First we looked at past months' expeditures. Then John decided that he is going to give up alcohol for the 40 days of lent & I am going to give up all (yes ALL) Starbucks runs. :) When totaled both of those habits together it came to about $200/month. By American standards that is pocket change. But to the rest of the world that is a TON of cash!!!
Here's the other thing. We wanted to make this a family discipline. And really, the kiddos will be impacted by the giving up of the Starbucks runs because they are those children that always get some kind of kiddie cocoa or vanilla steamer or lately "green machine" juice whenever I go to get my caffiene fix. :) We also go to Starbucks often after church on Sundays to get coffees, teas, steamers, scones, muffins... you name it.
So, for the 40 days of Lent we are skipping Starbucks and purchasing (hopefully!) less alcohol (Bree is still consuming her vino!) and with the money that we would have normally spent on those things we are going to instead give it to this:
1 comment:
I don't know if my comment went through, my internet putzed out when I went to send it.
Anyway I was saying, this is awesome! Such a great cause. Ben and I (and our church) participate in a similar act of 'sacrifice' every month. On the first Sunday of the month we fast and give the money that we would normally spend on meals to local shelters, food banks and people in our community in need. Fasting is always a difficult thing for me and I would nver get through it without lots of prayer. I know prayer will assist you two as well during Lent.
Good going! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment