Monday, November 22, 2010

Project Thankful - Day 22

Today I am thankful for this dog...


That dog is Reuben.  And while he has had his "Marely" moments, Reuben is a fabulous dog.

When John and I were first married I assumed the next logical step in our marriage was to get a dog.  John had other ideas, mostly consisting of not getting a dog.  Ever.  So, we made a deal.  The deal was: If John deployed to war, I could get a dog.  Otherwise, we would wait until our 1st anniversary.  Well, less than 3 months into our marriage John was deployed and I was looking for a puppy.

Reuben was born in Hungary.  I purchased him in Germany and was our only "child" for a time, while we were living in Italy. 

Reuben has been through a lot in his 7 and half years of life.  He's blown out a knee and as a result had pretty intensive knee $urgerie$.  He's been hit by a car (while on leash, with John holding onto that leash, while crossing in a crosswalk.)  As a result of the car accident he sustained a fractured hip and lots of other bumps and brusies.  He ate an entire, yes, an ENTIRE bottle of ibuprofen and then had to spend over 24 hours at the emergency vet clinic on constant IV fluid$.  He is the dog with 9 lives.

Reuben loves to swim.  He loves to play fetch.  He loves to chew the green fuzz off of tennis balls.  Reuben will shred carboard boxes, tissue boxes (with tissues still in them), and egg cartons.  He will lay patiently and allow the kiddos to tug, pull, thump, and basically be not as gently as they should be with him.  Reuben loves to go on walks.  He loves to chase squirrels.  He has an internal clock and gets totally goofy & obnoxious when it is "feeding" time.  Reuben is my buddy & companion when John is gone.  He is a best friend to Micah.  Reuben makes the house feel safe & welcoming.  He snores when he sleeps, thinks our bed is his, and that I (Bree) belong to him.  He has shown all of us what unconditional love looks like.  Reuben is seriously one of the best dogs I will ever get to share life with.  And for that, I am thankful.

No comments: