Today, as I type this post, I am sitting on our bed. John has fallen asleep watching Sunday Night Football and I am pretty close to crashing myself. Anyway, this may sound silly to some, but today I am thankful for our bed. It is cozy. It is very comfortable. It has about 12 pillows on it. (I probably use about 5 of them on any given night...) Whenever John is in the field or deployed "our" bed becomes "Reuben's" bed too.
Our actual bed was made in Italy. It's a queen sized sleigh bed. It has moved 5 times in our almost 8 years of marriage. There are days when I think we should "upgrade" to a king sized bed, but then I'm reminded - "You have a bed!" (and a nice one at that!) and I attempt to squash that cosumeristic thought and move on to more important things.
The bedding set on our bed is not fancy. Well, really, our entire bedroom is not fancy (we're parents of 3 small children!) During any given day you would probably be able to find a random pacifier, and/or a Barbie, a random pile of children's books, and/or a wooden "Thomas the Tank Engine" traincar somewhere in the bedding of our bed, or piled on top of our bed.
There are days when I wish our bedding was more "fancy" and when I wish our bedroom seemed more "put together." But then I'm reminded that, shoot! "I HAVE a bed & a house with multiple bedrooms!" And I'm reminded that there are people in this world that sleep on floors, sidewalks, streets, grass, dirt, and piles of garbage... So, then, when I'm reminded of these things, I try to practice gratitude and change my focus from "what I want" to a focus of, "being grateful for what I have."
No comments:
Post a Comment