7 years ago today John was more than 1/2 through his first combat deployment. He was in Iraq and I was in Italy expecting him home in early December so we could PCS (permanant change of station AKA "move") to the Captain Career Course at Ft. Benning, GA. However, the "needs of the Army" and God had other plans.
The "needs of the Army" had John's commander tell him that he would not be returning early from deployment, and instead would stay, finish out the deployment, and then redeploy with the rest of the 173rd Airborne Brigade in (about) April 2004. Through the mess and heartache of that reality, God worked in an amazing way. On November 17th, 2003 God called John (well really our family) to the Army chaplaincy.
Today I am thankful for God's call on our lives. It is such a great feeling to know that you are right where God wants you... I am thankful that we are currently an active duty Army family and that John is serving as a chaplain to a battalion in the 82nd Airborne Division. I am thankful that there are opportunities for me to serve alongside John. It's not always an easy life, this active duty Army business, but it is well worth it when you know that God leading and backing you up every step of the way!
No comments:
Post a Comment