Saturday, November 20, 2010

Project Thankful - catchin' up

I haven't really been on the internet the last few days. I didn't mean to take a break. When I started this whole Project Thankful thang, I fully intended to blog everyday. I had even planned to have posts written before hand & scheduled to post. But... Let's just say that with being an Army wife and momma of 3, life has the tendency to... "happen." And that, my friends, is exactly where I have been the last few days... Living the "happening" life as a Army chaplain's wife & momma of 3.

Thursday we had a 82nd Airborne Division Chaplain "Hail and Farewell" That's Army speak for a big dinner where the new people are "welcomed" (AKA "hailed") and the people moving/leaving are "farewelled." Friday we went to John's battalion H&F. I must say, I LOVE going to the battalion H&F's. They are always fun. Today we had a birthday party, for which I made the birthday cakes, and John's parents flew into the Raleigh/Durham airport (about an hour & a half away). Noah has been teething & all 3 kiddos have been fighting colds/coughs (which means I'm low on sleep!) :) And, how in the world did this happen?!?! THANKSGIVING is in less than a week!

So yeah, life has been busy. But, not so busy that I haven't been reminded, regularly, throughout the last few days, that I have so very much to be grateful for. Today, I'm going to sort of "catch up" and list what I am thankful for.

Project Thankful - Catchin' Up List:
  • John's battalion commander & his wife: they are wonderful people. They value the role of a chaplain in a unit! They are fun, caring, generous, and just overall great people. The battalion H&F was at their home this past Friday & it was a blast. While there, I was overwhelmed with what an amazing privilege it is to serve (with) them & the families of John's battalion.
  • Carolina Grown: I subscribe to a farm-CSA-sort of thing here in NC & was overwhelmed with an abundance of beautifully grown/raised local produce, dairy, and meats today. So grateful that our Thanksgiving meal with be mostly local, organic, and pastured foods.
  • PWOC: We were able to share a communion meal this past week at PWOC. What a powerful, moving experience! Sharing communion with believers of all kinds is an experience I wish I got to participate in more often. PWOC has often been my lifeline during this crazy Army life. It's what keeps me grounded, accountable, and growing in my faith.
  • Time off: John had Friday afternoon off. It was so nice to have him home in the middle of an afternoon on a work day! Normally he works long hours & so it was just a nice, sort of cozy, comforting feeling having him around the house in the middle of the afternoon. He watched some football, did some laundry (THANK YOU!), helped to pick up the house, and was able to walk to pick Lydia up from school so the boys could stay in their beds & continue napping.

I know that as this week ends & we move into "the week of Thanksgiving" life will "happen" again & things will get busy. That said, I'm going to try my hardest to continue to post daily. If I miss a day or 2 I'll try & catch up again... It's important to me that I take the time to sit & reflect on how much I have to be grateful for... It helps me realize exactly how much I (we) have. It helps me to remember those who do not have as much. And, it causes me to want to share what I do have, and love and serve those who do not have as much.

No comments: