Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Lydia's 1st Day of School

Today was the 1st day of school for kiddos living within the Evergreen School District here in Vancouver, WA. It was my 1st day not going back and I was a little sad. There is something so fun and special (in my opinion) about the 1st day of 1st grade. The jitters, the excitement, the parents hovering, the freshly sharpened pencils, and new crayons... I love the 1st day of school.

For Lydia today was the 1st day at "Room 2 Bloom." "Miss Lisa's" new preschool. "Miss Lisa" has been our daycare provider and last spring she decided to make a change and start a preschool in her home. Her change was part of my decision to take a year leave of absence from my job. The thought of Lydia's "last year" at home and the fact that I could actually be available to go on preschool field trips and just be around for all those fun firsts was really attractive to me and one of the main reasons I decided to take a leave.

So... at 8:45 this morning Lydia, Micah, and I stepped into our backyard for the first of I'm sure MANY years worth of "1st Day of School" pictures. It was a perfect fall morning - cool, crisp, dew on the grass, but with the promise of a sunny and warm afternoon in the sky. (Great for pictures!) I'm not sure who was more excited for preschool, Lydia or me! After a few quick pictures we piled into the car and drove the 7 minutes to "Room to Bloom."
Micah and I left Lydia at preschool and promptly drove to Starbucks for a "Mommy-Micah Date." We had a pumpkin latte and shared pumpkin scone - Micah had a kid's vanilla steamer with whip. :) This was sort of my way of celebrating the fact that I was taking a year off, that Lydia was old enough to be in school, and that I would have 4 mornings a week with just Micah!

At noon we picked a very happy and a little tired (though she'd never admit it) Lydia. Today she started learning all about trees and leaves. They went on a "nature" walk and then used magnifying glasses to look at their finds. They also started their calendar routine and will soon be into the swing of things with practicing their letters, numbers, and all kinds of fun!
Lydia and Jackson - her daycare "love" that she now gets to go to preschool with. They claim they are going to "marry" each other. :)

2 comments:

Jason and Rachel said...

You are right, there is something VERY special that happens on the first day of school! I am so excited for all the things you get to do and the firsts you experience this year. I am open for a play date any of the mornings you might have open.

Mandy Watson said...

Lydia,

You are so cute... Happy School Day! I hope you like your teacher... Your boyfriend is cute... We shoul have another sleep over.

Love,

Natalie