3 years ago our "home" church, Mosaic, introduced "Advent Conspiracy." At first I was appalled (probably the gift love language in me!), then I was intrigued, and then I was inspired. And I will be the first one to admit that I've tried the "relational" gift giving & it's HARD. I will also admit that I've tried, failed, and really sucked with my first attempts at giving "presence" as presents. In hindsight I've discovered that the key was/is, giving presence as presents is hard when the relationships you're giving to are lacking... Lacking in depth, authenticity, knowledge... So I learned that if I want to give presence and have it be meaningful, that have invested in the relationship.
So this year, even though we are across the country from Mosaic, my hubs and I are working really hard at figuring out how we can give presence to our friends and family. We have, by NO stretch of the imagination, have it all figured out. We are still trying to tweak and change things so the focus remains on Jesus, spending less, so we can give more, and love all. Here are some ways were a attempting to do that:
"Santa" will still be coming for our children. However Santa will be a bit scaled back (in comparison with previous years) & will be related to the relational/presence gifts that are children will be receiving from us. We are also going to take one of the big moving boxes we have left from our move, wrap it up, leave it open, and are going to clean out the toys and books that our children no longer play with/have no sentimental value/are still in really good shape. (Got that idea here.) Those toys and books will then be sealed up & left for Santa to take to the boys and girls of the world that have nothing. (AKA a local charity here in NC.)
We are giving what our children need. Lydia needs long sleeves because it has finally decided to be cold here in NC, Micah also needs long sleeves, Noah needs a pair of "shoes" he can't get off his feet.
Noah will be happy with an empty box and wrapping paper - he's 10 months old. We are asking people give to Living Water International or World Vision in Noah's name if they haven't already gotten him a gift and would like to do so.
We are giving presence coupons: Play time at the park, bowling date, checkers/chess coffee date, manicure with Momma date, walking the dog date, family picnic dinner/movie night... etc...
Instead of another toy or random gift, we are going to give gifts that reflect the gift of life. (the ULTIMATE gift that Christ gave us!) Our plan is to buy, in our childrens' names, school supplies, farm animals, education... through World Vision's Giving Catalog. We will wrap up the card that tells what we've "purchased" and each child will get to open that gift on Christmas morning. (We've already been prepping Lyds & Micah (a little!) & have talking about how Christmas is more about giving and that there are ways that we too can give life just like Jesus did.) :)
Those are just a few things we are doing in an attempt to give differently.
No comments:
Post a Comment