Monday, December 20, 2010

Presents and Presence - Makin' Fudge!

Growing up, the time between Thanskgiving and Christmas was always fudge making time!  My dad always made his grandmother's recipe (still does!) & my parents gave it as gifts to friends, neighbors, fellow church members, co-workers...  Every year my dad would make several, SEV-ER-AL, batches of fudge to give out and if he was making it while we were around, he'd let us help.  To this day, seeing a jar of marshmallow fluff, or large hershey bars, or the smell of melted butter, sugar, and evaporated milk all boiling together brings back a flood of fudge making memories.

Now that I'm a "grown-up" and married and a momma and living far away from home I make my own fudge.  I use my dad's grandmother's recipe.  I use the little tricks and tips that my dad taught me to make the fudge makin' process easier.  In my opinion, it just wouldn't be the Christmas season without fudge! 

So, since fudge is such an integral part of Christmas in our family, I have started involving my own kiddos in the making of fudge!  Here are a few pictures of Lydia helping me make the first batch of fudge this season!

Buttering the cookie sheet...  gotta make sure there are no "bare" batches!

Stirring the melted butter, sugar, and evaporated milk until it comes to a boil...

When you're all done, getting to "lick the pot"
and spatulas is the BEST part about fudge makin'!

2 comments:

Robin said...

Too bad fudge doesn't travel well- is the family recipe a secret worth sharing???? =) So fun to see Lydia with you in the kitchen- many more fun times to come, I'm sure! love you Bree!

T Ridgeway said...

I was just going to tell you that I make fudge every year too. I received a 9X9 kitchenaid silicone baking pan and it is perfect for fudge. It is non stick and flexible so I'm able to put the fudge out on a marble surface to cut. Something to think about. It makes it so much easier that I just had to share.

~Teresa