Monday, November 8, 2010

Project Thankful - Day 8

Hand-me-downs! That is what I'm thankful for today! Because Micah was the 1st boy on my side of the family my mom & sisters (& Uncle Colin!) went a little crazy when it came to purchasing clothing for Micah. (OK, I'll admit it! I went a little crazy too!) Because of that fact, Micah often wore clothing/outfits only a few times. After he grew out of his clothes I folded & stored his clothing in rubbermaid containers. I always knew I wanted 3 kiddos so I was just saving several outfits & lots of clothing that had been barely worn for that "just in case we have another boy" baby! And wouldn't you know it, we were blessed with "another boy" & Noah is now almost 9 months old & has worn LOTS of Micah's hand-me-downs.

The weather has recently changed in North Carolina & it has finally decided to be "fall." (THANK GOODNESS!) So, today I went out to the garage and found, yet another rubbermaid tub, of Micah's clothes & started pulling out the long sleeves, long pants, and cozy clothes for Noah to wear.

It's fun going through the clothes that Micah used to wear. It's almost like unnwrapping a gift because, to be honest, I have forgotten what's in the tubs! And while Noah does not really have a shortage of his own new clothing, it is still fun pulling out the sizes Noah now needs. I think the best thing however, about going through hand-me-downs, is remembering what fun experiences we had as a family with Micah wearing certain outfits, and thinking about what fun new memories we will make with Noah wearing the same things...

So today I'm thankful for Micah's hand-me-downs. I'm thankful for the obvious & practical reason of "hand-me-downs make it easier to stick to the clothing budget!" But, I'm also thankful because going through Micah's hand-me-downs has allowed me to sit, remember, and be thankful for how Micah has grown, changed, & impacted our family... Can't wait to see how Noah does the same, maybe wearing the same clothing, but growing, changing, & impacting us in his own "Noah" way...

2 comments:

Robin said...

This one makes me tear up! How funny is it that memories attach themselves even to clothes? Noah is one lucky boy, and without a Target or Gymboree close, I know you feel lucky to have all those cute outfits, too! =)

Grandma Ruth said...

I am thankful today for the computer. It allows me to easily keep in touch with family and friends.

I remember the first main frame computer at my job - it filled an entire room and the temperature had to be controlled. I remember thinking why would anyone ever need a computer in their home. I remember calling the store where we bought our first computer and asking where the 'return' key was.

I had very little experience with the computer until I started my job with the state in 1990 and then I didn't even have one at my desk. I had to use a 'common' computer to write reports. I am thankful for Mrs. Bly who taught the typing classes in my high school. She was a character and we sometimes typed to music. Thankfully I mastered that class and have always been good on the keyboard. I bought my first typewriter with moneys I earned working at a small grocery store so that I had a typewriter when I left for college.

Today I am 'computer dependent' and go into withdrawals if the computer is down or I'm away from it for some reason. I still have a lot to learn but am functional.

I am truly thankful for Facebook, email, Excel and blogs.