Well, I know that I haven't been as consistant as I had wanted to be with this whole "Project Thankful" thing. When I started writing these posts I had planned that I would write posts ahead of time and then schedule them to publish. That obviously hasn't happened. However, there have been a few posts that I have had ideas for and have had sort of "reserved." That said, today's post has been "reserved," since day 1, for my Dad.
Today is my Dad's birthday and today I am going to tell you (as best I can, in 1 post) why I am thankful for my dad.
My dad is a great dad. Growing up I always knew that my dad loved me no matter what. He told me & my sisters that he loved us often. I also knew that he had high expectations for behavior, academics, and just life in general. Now that I am a "grown-up" with my own kiddos, I am grateful for those high expectations... and I see myself expecting those same things of my kiddos... especially when it comes to behavior! Ha!
We tease him about it but, I am grateful my dad understood the importance of teaching us "proper grammar."
I am grateful for the times my kiddos have shared with their "Opa."
I am thankful for the music that my parents raised us with. We were raised taking piano lessons and singing in the church. My dad's love for Streisand, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, and just great music in general, will forever be a part of me. I can only hope that I can instill the same love of classic and GOOD music into my children.
There are times when I channel my "inner George." (I think all 3 of us girls have those moments.) Some of those moments are silly goofy things like when I make sure I am vacuuming in straight lines/a fan pattern, or when I stress out over place settings at a holiday dinner, or when I paint the walls in my home bold/alternating colors. The other more serious moments are when I take the time to listen to a person's story because my dad has taught us that "everybody has a story" and that "everybody's story is important," or when my husband John and I take the time to do something extra with friends or with family because the opportunity to deepen the relationship and/or make a memory is too great to pass up.
I read the newspaper and I think of my dad. I see Christmas lights and I think about my dad. I go to the ocean (doesn't matter which one) and immediately, memories of going to the Oregon coast with my dad come flooding back. I say the phrase "I suppose" and I know that is my dad... Now that we've moved pretty far from my parents, I'm glad I can sort of "have my dad around" because of those memories and shared experiences.
I am sad that I am missing my dad's 60th birthday. Hanging out with my family and celebrating is one of my most favorite things to do... I am so grateful that I have a dad who is my friend, who has been a great role model, and who has always been there for me, and will always be there for me and our entire family.
Thanks dad for being so wonderful. (And don't proof read this post too much...) :) Happy birthday! I love you!

No comments:
Post a Comment