Thursday, March 19, 2009

Snipping...

I sort of came to the realization around the time Lydia was 2 that there would be a day when she would cut her own hair. I've chalked it up to just being one of those childhood rites of passage that (almost) everyone goes through. You know like loosing teeth, skinning knees, and learning how to ride a bike. As far as cutting hair, I just figured that one day Lydia would come around the corner, big grin on her face, chunks of hair missing, scissors in hand. And well... that's sort of what happened...

We were at our friends Bruce and Nicole's house. They have a 3 year old daughter named Rachel and a new teeny baby named Sarah Kate. Anyway, Rachel and Lydia get along famously. It makes it easy for us to get together because the girls entertain themselves and then the grown-ups just have to tend to the babies. So, we were over there and the girls were playing, we were making dinner, and then all of a sudden Lydia came around the corner, big smile on her face, and tufts of hair in her hand... Yes, the inevitable had happened. Lydia cut her hair - I took a deep breath and said to myself "It's only hair..." and then I saw the tufts of hair in her hand and my mind immediately flashed to "WHAT IS SHE GOING TO LOOK LIKE IN EASTER PICTURES?!?!" (Thanks Dad for instilling that in me!) That's when time sort of started going in slow motion because I thought - I'm not angry, disappointed, upset, amused... what am I feeling? And then I thought - did this really happen?!?! Yup, it really did. There was hair strewn all over Bruce and Nicole's carpet. Luckily Lydia managed to sort of lift up the "top" layer of her hair and cut underneath so the damage was sort of hidden. It just looked like she had less hair on one side of her head. WAY less hair... But, when I realized the damage wasn't that bad, we cleaned up the hair on Bruce & Nicole's floor, (they're stilling finding it!) I poured myself a glass of wine, and we all laughed it off. Oh and as for future "snipping" - Lydia has been warned that if she ever does that again, she would get a very big spanking. (We're also keeping scissors far out of reach!)


It really could have been a great deal worse, and it only took about 20 minutes for the gal at our local JCPenney salon to fix it. Not too bad if you ask me... Now I'm just waiting for the day she colors it for the first time... Opa is betting on purple - we'll see!






No comments: